Southmead have earnt their silver award for the Primary Science Quality Mark!
Click here to find out more!
At Southmead Primary School we believe that Science engages pupils’
natural curiosity about the world in which they live.
Through practical exploration pupils will explore and discover more about ‘real-life’
experiences, and will learn and develop the skills, knowledge and understanding
they need in order to think creatively and critically about our world, and beyond.
Key Principles for science - a promise fusing teaching and learning
We promise to:
• Carry out practical investigations in pairs, in groups and independently;
• Capture ‘Working scientifically’ in action, and use photographs as evidence in Science
books, and on science wall displays;
• Use oral rehearsals, raps, songs, videos to help harness the memory of key scientific
vocabulary and concepts;
• Evidence progress and understanding through our use of questioning at the beginning of
and again at the end of a lesson;
• Assess progress in Working scientifically and scientific knowledge and conceptual
understanding, and set achievable yet challenging targets;
• Maximise science displays so that learning is extended, curiosity is created,
interaction is encouraged and success is celebrated.
In the spring term, in line with the new curriculum, Southmead will begin a new phase in the way we assess children’s learning in science.
Please click here to view our curriculum map for Science.